Obviously parenting is one big learning experience and as we go along we make mistakes. The biggest mistakes we made with Thomas that we are determined not to make twice (or 3x) are about bedtime and sleeping. The result of our mistakes is that we have an almost 5yr old who will not fall asleep on his own and makes his way into our room practically every night. I will admit to secretly missing him on the rare occasion that he doesn't end up in our room, but our bedtime routine is ridiculous. It involves both of us and takes WAY too long. He's so into routine that one little change totally throws him off and it's not pretty ;) So from day 1 we knew we would not make the same mistakes with Griffin. From early on we taught him to fall asleep awake and not rely on us. For the most part he has been an awesome sleeper. But since he turned 3, we've been challenged more. I think he's trying to give up his naps, but I'm not giving in so easy. Our biggest challenge has been in the last 24hrs. Last night he woke up twice in the middle of the night. The second time he said his toe hurt and wanted to come to our room. I was exhausted and in a moment of weakness I gave in. It was 6am and of course he didn't go back to bed in our room AND he realized his brother (actually brothers) was in there. Then tonight after talking and playing for 2hrs after we put him to bed, he threw a huge fit to come in our room. I'm very proud to say I won that battle :) It wasn't fun, but I knew that the next night would be even worse and even though we just got a king bed, we don't have room for both of us plus 2 preschoolers. He finally gave up and let me tuck him in. Now i'm keeping my fingers crossed that he sleeps all night and doesn't wake up at the crack of dawn!
Speaking of sleep... we got our new bedroom furniture today! I love it! I'm going to need a stool to get in bed though. It's so tall!
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Live and Learn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Been there, done that! Funny how quick they learn that mom's bed is a nice place to be!
Post a Comment