Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Scariest Mommy Moment

I knew sooner or later with 3 boys, I would be spending some time the ER. I'm really thankful that I made it almost 6years without having to go, but that streak ended last night. Thomas, being the monkey that he is, was standing/dancing/goofing off on our little kid picnic table (which was in the living room). I was in the other room so I didn't see what happened, but according to him he slipped and fell off. He landed right on his face. He was crying pretty hard and had a bruise by his eye, I assumed from his glasses. Once he calmed down, he sat on the couch to watch cartoons. All of the sudden he could not stay awake and was throwing up. So I called the doctor who told me to get him to the ER. Luckily they got us in fairly quickly there since I couldn't keep him awake. They did a ct scan and found a subdural hematoma. Apparently the hospital I went to isn't equip to deal with this (if things worsened) so we had to transfer to a hospital downtown. Before we left the first hospital, they had to put in an IV to give him fluids and meds to stop the vomiting. It was awful! They had to tie him down and there was lots of screaming and blood. Then he got to ride in an ambulance which he thought was pretty cool! We got to the next hospital and spent a few hours in that ER waiting for a bed in the Pediatric ICU. It was interesting experiencing the 2 different ER's. We were treated great at both, but got a lot more attention at the 2nd one, including a visit from a Social Worker questioning what happened. Funny how even though it wasn't my fault, I felt nervous talking to her. I made sure to throw in that I was also a Social Worker in hopes of me seeming less guilty ;) He finally got moved to ICU around 1:30am. I had to go home to be with the other boys (we decided Mike should stay since Lucas still wakes up to nurse A LOT). They did another ct scan this morning and it was the same, which they said is good. They said it will reabsorb soon. He was finally released around 1pm this afternoon. He has to follow up with the neurologist in 1 month and until then he isn't allowed to ride his bike, climb on anything, or play sports. And to think this all happened from him hitting his head on the carpet! I'm going going to be super paranoid now.

7 comments:

VerWaynia said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so glad he's ok! That's one of the scary things about having boys!

Michelle Lynn said...

So scary, I'm glad he is ok. I've had that visit from a social worker in the ER before. Talk about making you feel like you are a bad parent. Not that they implied or said anything, but the very fact that they come to talk to you.. well, it gave me a pretty nervous feeling!

Sonja said...

So glad he is okay! I hope he will stop that monkey business now...

How are you doing after all this?

Lynn said...

That is so scary! I'm glad he is doing well now.

gail said...

Aghh, so scary!

Terri said...

How scary! I'm so glad he's okay now!

Becki said...

How very scary!! Hope the follow-ups are all smooth sailing.