Thursday, October 25, 2007

Smarty Pants

Today Thomas and I were watching a bird out the window and he started educating me about a bird's feet. I asked him how he knew all of this and he said "because I'm a smarty pants". Ok, so I agree with him that he's pretty smart ;) But I don't want him to be an egomaniac. His teacher told Mike that they call him the little professor because he always knows the answers (or thinks he does!). I recently read a magazine article about this. It was talking about over praising your kids and how you shouldn't always just tell them how great, smart, cute, etc.. they are but instead should be more specific (like wow, you really know alot about birds). So I think I need to work on that.

In other news, I'm realizing you CAN NOT push potty training! I've always had the belief that they'll do it when they are ready, but felt pressure to push Griffin more b/c of preschool (he was supposed to be pt'd when he started almost 2mo ago). I assumed by now he would be ready, but I guess he's not. He can do it, but won't. It's frustrating and I think I'm ready to give up for awhile. I really don't think there's anything else I can do at this point other than give myself a few more grey hairs. We started a chart on monday and he did ok that day - went 4 times and wore underwear. But nothing since. He keeps telling me he'll go in 5 minutes. I'm just hoping that he'll get tired of pull-ups at some point.

No comments: